The 2021 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. & Mrs. Almita S. R. Woods Scholarship Awards application
Throughout the year, Auxiliary members actively work to coordinate activities and community events that promote unity and goodwill. Similarly, our annual scholarship programs are open to all local high school seniors bound for an institution of higher learning (IHL) and students already enrolled in an IHL. We have also awarded saving bonds to young essay contest winners during African-American History Month.
In 1987,the Auxiliary established the “Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship Award,”named after the great civil rights leader. This scholarship,further personified by the Annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Black and White Scholarship Ball,is only awarded to qualifying Onslow County high school seniors who are bound for an IHL.
In 1995, the Auxiliary established a second scholarship program, the “Mrs. Almita S. R. Woods Scholarship Award,” to bestow the highest accolades on an exemplary Onslow County high school senior bound for an IHL OR for a student already matriculated in an IHL. We offer these scholarship opportunities in hopes that they will facilitate your educational plans and assist you in achieving your educational goals. Thank you for your interest.
SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS PACKAGE GUIDELINES
Please ensure you read and closely adhere to the below guidelines before you complete and submit your package. Scholarship package must be mailed (do not email your package) and post marked on or before March 15, 2022.
- To qualify for the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.(MLK) or Mrs. Almita S. R. Woods(AW) scholarships, each applicant must be or have been an Onslow County high school graduate. Current high school seniors are eligible to apply for both scholarships, in accordance with guidelines below.
- Graduating high school senior applicants must have at least a 2.8 GPA to qualify for the MLK scholarship and at least a 3.0 GPA to qualify for the AW scholarship.
- Applicants currently matriculated in an institution of higher learning (IHL) must have at least a 3.0 GPA to qualify for the AW scholarship. Current IHL students may only apply for the AW scholarship.
- Applicants must be involved in community service.
- Essay Requirements: Each applicant must submit an essay conveying his/her thoughts on the 2022 Essay Question included later in the application. Submit your 300-350 word essay, typed on 8 1/2×11-inch plain white paper, single-spaced and double-spaced between paragraphs. Please use Courier New and 12 Font.
(See page 4 for 2022 Essay Question)
- Photograph: Please submit a professional head and shoulders 3×5-inch or 4×6-inchphotograph (graduation photo preferred), suitable for newspaper and other publications. Write your name on the back of your photograph and please do not staple photograph to application! Only one photograph is required.
- Transcripts: Submit one official sealed copy of your transcript in the original envelope.
- Letters of Recommendation: Three letters of recommendation are required; two from high school/IHL faculty members, and one from an individual in the community. Letters should be on official letterhead (if applicable) but do not need to be sealed in an envelope.
- Letter of Acceptance: A Letter of Acceptance to IHL for high school seniors or Letter of Continued Enrollment for students in IHL is required.
- Application: Submit one complete copy (original copy) of all requested items plus three additional copies of your completed scholarship package, collated and stapled separately. (Note: Include only one professional photograph and one official transcript still sealed in the original envelope.)
- Letter of Hardship (optional): If applicable, please submit a letter detailing your level of hardship. In addition, please include a substantiating letter from the Department of Social Services, your employer, or other supporting agency on official organizational letterhead if feasible.
- To be eligible for consideration, ALL requested documents MUST be included in your package and ALL guidelines MUST be met. Please only submit requested documents.
- Completed scholarship application package with ALL requested documents MUST be received in our office or post marked NLT March 15, 2022 – NO EXCEPTIONS!!! Mail packages to: MPMA Auxiliary, Attn: Scholarship Committee, PO Box 928, Jacksonville NC 28541.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN OUR MPMA CHAPTER 10 AUXILIARY SCHOLARSHIPS